Being a mom is exhausting. But, being a mom is also a lot of fun and the best thing ever. As moms, we tend to overlook ourselves. We’re so busy making sure the little’s are taken care of, working and maintaining a home. I’ve put together a compilation of 13 self-care tips for busy moms. Self-care is so important and it took me a long time to realize it. Once I did, I became a better mother, a better wife and a better person to myself. I hope you find these tips helpful!
Post may contain affiliate links. This means I may receive a small commission if you click a link and purchase an item.
13 Self-Care Tips
- Take a Bubble Bath – This is first on the list because a steaming, hot bath is my go-to self-care routine. I absolutely love a hot bubble bath! It really helps me relax after a long day of work or chasing a toddler. Light some candles or even play some soothing music, just try to relax.
- Find 1 Hour of Quiet Time – Yes, I know this one can be tricky. With little’s running around the house, a husband and even pets, it’s tough to find a quiet spot. This has become very important to me though, so I decided to make the time. My quiet time is in the morning, before every one else is up. I’m an early riser for work anyway, so this wasn’t a huge adjustment for me. I enjoy being able to have my cup of coffee, take some notes and self-reflect. This has really helped me as a person!
- Go Shopping – I don’t mean go splurge to the point you have buyers remorse (yep I’ve done it). That doesn’t help anyone (except the store) and it definitely doesn’t help yourself or your bank account. But, if shopping is something you love, have someone keep the kids for a little and head out. Grab a friend or go alone. Buy something that makes you happy or those pair of shoes you’ve been eyeing for so long!
- Call a Friend – Girl time is the best time, it really is! As we get older and we have our families and busy jobs, our time is limited. You may not can always get together with that one friend, but you can call. Sometimes you need a friend to talk to and that may be just what you need. Just catch up!
- Indulge in Your Favorite Food – Did someone say pancakes? As women, we can really be hard on ourselves when it comes to food and being healthy. Of course we need our fruits and veggies but let me tell ya, I love pancakes! They’re my go to when I really want to treat myself, oh and Chick Fil A. Pick one meal a week to treat yourself to something you just really want to indulge in!
- Write in a Journal – As busy moms, we often don’t have time to think. We get so caught up in the chaos of motherhood and life. Take a journal or a little notebook and just write. Jot down what you are grateful for. Writing has really helped me take more life in daily and really appreciate all that I do have!
- Have a Family Kitchen Dance Party – This is so much fun! A fun way to let loose and just laugh. Kids are the cutest dancers and I love getting my little guy to dance around with me, even my husband jumps in! This is a great way to just feel good.
- Make a Hair Appointment – Oh, this is another one of my favorites! It’s not something I’m doing monthly but about every three months or so, I go get my hair done. This is so relaxing to me and I love catching up with my hairstylist. If you aren’t into coloring or cutting, schedule a blowout! They’ll wash, dry and style for you. Hello awesome!
- Take in Some Fresh Air – With Spring finally here, now is the time to get outside. Longer evenings are perfect for having dinner outside, or playing ball with your kids. I love to sit on my front porch with a cup of coffee and watch the sunrise while everyone else is still asleep. Quiet time and fresh air all in one!
- At Home Spa Day – I mean, what mom doesn’t deserve a spa day? WE ALL DO and i’m sure we all need one. But, sometimes time just isn’t on our side and depending what you want it can be pricey. Take a steamy shower or a nice bath, put on a face-mask then grab your robe. If champagne is your thing, relax with a glass and toss in some fresh fruit!
- Clean – Now, this may not be for everyone and it can be tough to clean like you want with the kiddos running around. But, cleaning can also be very therapeutic. When it comes to my home, a clean kitchen makes me that happiest! Throughout the week our island becomes the landing space a lot of times, for little toys or mail. A clean house makes me feel so relaxed, even if it only lasts for a moment. Turn on some music and raise the windows to let some fresh air in!
- Start a Blog – Similar to a journal, but maybe you want to reach people. Maybe you have a story you want told or things you want to share. I’m still new to this blogging thing but it has helped me so much! I love writing about topics to help other moms, sharing things that make me happy. And, the people you will meet along the way, with the same goals as you is so awesome! I’ve come into contact with so many moms on the same path as me, and nothing is better than having a supportive group of women building each other up.
- Read – Reading can be very relaxing. I’m not a huge reader of books although I did love this one, The Magic of Motherhood. I do like to read blogs and other social media posts by moms. The inspiration you get from reading is so good for the soul! So, curl up with your favorite book and a blanket or read some mommy blogs for some motivation!
These tips are ways I’ve found to love myself more and to really give myself that little bit of needed attention. You must take care of yourself first to be the best you can be! I’d love to hear your tips and how you find your “me time”.
If you haven’t already, head on over to read how Mom, Life Happens came to be!